In the pre-release versions of Nougat there was a night mode that allowed Nexus devices to work better at night and in other low-light situations. However, this was switched off before the final release. The code, however, is still there and it’s possible to use it!
First of all, do you have the System UI Tuner option? If not…
- Pull down from the home screen to access your Quick Settings
- Press down on the Settings icon (cog icon). Your device will vibrate and you’ll see a message saying “Congrats! System UI Tuner has been added to Settings”
- When you now scroll to the bottom of your Settings list you’ll now find UI Tuner.
Okay, now you have that you need to install an app named Night Mode Enabler.
- Run it and click on “ENABLE NIGHT MODE”
- This will take you to a screen that lets you set up the night mode options (see screenshot to the right). I would recommend switching on “Turn on automatically” as well as “Adjust tint” and “Adjust brightness”.
- From the pull-down Quick Settings screen you should now have a “Night mode” icon – pressing this will over-ride the previous settings and switch night mode on and off as required. Otherwise, it should now activate automatically.
For further assistance the following video from the app developer should be of use…