Approximate time to read: <1 minute
Firefox 3.6 has been released and that means, once again, that you might find some of your add-ons don’t work. Now, this isn’t Firefox just wanting to cause problems for us all, but for genuine security and stability reasons.
None-the-less, if you need to get an add-on working, then there is a (relatively) simple way to do it.
- Download the .XPI add-on file
- Change the file extension from .XPI to .ZIP (because that is what they really are)
- Double click the .ZIP and you should see a file called
- Drag this file out of the zip, to your folder or desktop
- Open the .RDF file with Notepad
- Find the line that contains
maxVersionand change the 3.5 to the current version of Firefox
- Save and close the .RDF
- Drag the edited file back into the .ZIP
- Close the .ZIP and rename it back to .XPI
- Double click the .XPI and it should offer to install to Firefox