Last week I moved home, which inevitably meant that the site would be quiet. Little did I realise how quiet (see my following posts!).
I have some tips for anybody moving…
- Be specific when you mark your boxes – especially at the end when contents tend to be “assorted”. After the move I found my PVR in a box in the bedroom marked “lamp shades” (which it did also contain). Who’d have thought?
- Create a box containing essentials to get you through the day and take it yourself. Assume you won’t find anything else and will need to live from the contents of this box.
- Don’t help the removal men – it’s going to be a hard enough day as it is, let them do the job they’re best at. But give them drinks.
- Check the removal T&Cs. Mine were handed to me on the day. I don’t even know where they are now and I certainly didn’t read them. If I had, I’d have known that breakages have to be reported by post within a week of the move. I didn’t know this until today, one week after the move. Now I’m stuffed.
- No matter how the day goes, keep your cool – it will soon be over.
But I’m in and most boxes are unpacked. There’s now a lot of furniture to buy for a much larger house!